Sunday, August 24, 2008

Why fasting?

The month of Ramadhan is almost here. For me, all of my Muslim friends and other Muslims all around the globe, Ramadhan means no eating nor drinking from dusk til dawn.

But why? Why do you fast in Ramadhan and why is it so special?

My spanish friend, Luzia, once asked.

Couple of months ago, when that question came on to me, I could not answer at all. Seriously, I did not have the correct answer. My answer was: not only that it is a tradition in Islam - it is, scientifically proven, good for your health and anger management.

Well, that answer of mine was not wrong, but it was too.. general. For my friend Luzia who demanded a logical explanation, that answer was not enough.

Thankfully, just today, I have found the correct answer. At least for me, it has erased the big question mark that's been hanging on my head :P

For the past week I've been working on my dietary plan. Huh? Diet? Yes, since Ramadhan is coming and this year the fasting hour will be significantly longer than usual, I have planned to adjust my stomach and eating habit. Thus, I only eat once a day (lunch it is) and snack at least as possible during the daytime. I need to do that because this Ramadhan will be the first longest Ramadhan ever in my life.

As you know, I lived in Indonesia until I was 18, where we fast for 14 hrs all year round regardless which time of the year it is. (Indonesia has tropical climate which makes the daytime length pretty much the same all year round: sun rises at 4-5 am and sets at 5.30-6pm).
Then I moved to the Netherlands where I have been living for 5 years now. For the past 5 years in the Netherlands, Ramadhan always falls around winter and autumn time. During winter the sun rises at 6-7am and sets around 4-5 pm (which makes it the nicest Ramadhan since we only had to fast for 8-10 hrs :D) and during autumn the sun rises at 4-6 and sets round 5-7, which makes the fasting hour almost as long as in Indonesia.

But this year, we will have to fast during the transition weeks from Summer to Autumn, where sun rises at 4-4.30 am and sets at 9 pm!

So I went on my diet. I eat only once, did not drink much, but I was not on fast. Instead, I was just forcing myself to not eat nor drink because I felt I had to. And partially, I feared that if I did not do this, my stomach would not be well prepared by the time Ramadhan comes. Being the planning-freak person I am, I was so discipline with my plan and sticked to it as tight as possible even if I knew I didn't have to fast.

And what happened??

It felt NOTHING like fasting in Ramadhan. I was angered almost the whole day since I felt hungry. And my stomach pain (plus migrain!!!) nearly killed me! And oh, it was such a TORTURE when I had to do lots of activities at the same time. Especially knowing that I could eat, but do not allow myself to eat for such vague reason... I am hungered, but hungered for nothing. There was no self-consciousness telling me that I do this for God and only for Him. Above all, I did not reserve myself to fast because I wanted to - I fast because I felt I had to.

Thus, I come to the conclusion that there is a psychological effect during Ramadhan. I am conscious that it is indeed the special time of the year where I have to cherish the opportunity given by Him. To evaluate myself, to improve myself, to manage my anger. When I fast in Ramadhan I do it happily. No matter how, my mind is consciously telling me that I'm doing it for God and nothing else. And somehow, it brings me peace.

So... why fasting in Ramadhan? Why making it a special time? Because when we know it's special, we would feel special too.... we know we don't do it for nothing :)

2 comments:

PRIMADIKA said...

Met Puasa Cha...Kayaknya puasa depan bakal jadi perjuangan yang panjang. Tapi semua itu pantas diperjuangkan ^_^ Maaf lahir batin ya...semoga dapat bertemu dan memenangkan hari fitri.

a.k.a. Nez said...

Thanks ya prim... emang perjuangan puol, apalagi hari pertama.. pusiiiiing!

Sama2, maafin kesalahanku juga ya.

Btw blogmu ga ada guestbooknya lagi ta?